Friday, August 14, 2009

The G Race


Passage

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." Hebrews 12:1 (NKJV)

"...looking diligently lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled;" Hebrews 12:15 (NKJV)

Pondering

Today I was preparing for my teaching on New Testament Survey. There was one pictoral outline of the epistle of Hebrews that caught my eye. It has pictures of all the things Christ is better than on the left hand side. On the right are the cloud of witnesses watching on as a person (representing me) stands before an upwards race track leading to Jesus on His throne. On the track, in big letters is GRACE. Suddenly saw that word as being 'G Race' - the Grace Race.

We are called to throw aside all that hinders us running in His grace. One big thing that hinders us in this race is bitterness, by which we "fall short of the grace of God". Just yesterday I almost fell into a trap of bitterness! There was a quiz on Facebook that I took showing me the ideal location that I should be living in. The conclusion was that I should be living in the countryside by a river in beautiful solitude. Actually this is my ideal dream place and a pang of longing came over me when I read this and saw the attached picture. I could have followed through the thought process and started to blame God for bringing me to this concrete jungle with so many people and get bitter at Him. But I didn't.

This feeling had also come a few days earlier when I saw a friend from Singapore who was going on a trek in the Lake District, England, my favorite place of all. I felt a bit trapped here in Singapore and longed to escape to such a place. However, I started to think of God's grace in my life and the undeserved favour lavished on me. He has given me a wonderful wife and three great kids. He has led me into ministering in a fantastically supportive Church fellowship and opened many doors to teach His word in the nations. Just this weekend i'm off to teach New Testament Survey in Malaysia. This is enough. His grace is enough.

I will run the G Race.

Poem

Amazing Grace has saved my soul
And set my feet on the track.
I'll run the 'G Race' and be made whole
Pressing onwards, no turning back.


Prayer

"Father, thank you for You amazing Grace towards me. I don't deserve to be where I am with all You have given me. So, out of undying gratitude I will continue to run the "G Race" until that day when we meet face to face. Glory to You always. Amen!"

No comments: