Monday, September 21, 2009

The Power of a New Song Part 3


Passage

"And when he had consulted with the people, he appointed those who should sing to the LORD, and who should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army and were saying:

"Praise the LORD,
For His mercy endures forever."

Now when they began to sing and to praise, the LORD set ambushes against the people of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir, who had come against Judah; and they were defeated. "

2 Chronicles 20:21-22 (NKJV)

Pondering

The next time we see David's new song sung by Israel is when they are under attack under the reign of Jehoshaphat. They are surrounded by the enemy and as the king prays before God in the Temple the Lord tells him to send out His mighty army. However, His mighty army is not quite the kind of army we expect! It's an army of singers and musicians who go forth singing the new song of David as they march towards the enemy.

This singing army does not even engage physically in battle with the enemies of Israel because the Lord sets ambushes against them and they scatter, fighting each other and are totally destroyed when Israel finally reaches where they were station as a once mighty, intimidating force.

We may find ourselves surrounded by enemies, towering over us and intimidating us. However, as we march forward singing new songs of God's goodness and mercy then the Lord will send angelic ambushes against the enemy. Where the enemy formed a mighty barrier in our way we will walk right through with the new song on our lips. This new song of praise will be like a mighty sword that will go ahead of us and slay the enemy.

I have experienced this reality many times. At times when I'm overwhelmed by the attacks of the enemy on my thoughts, my health, my finances, my relationships and so forth, as I have chosen to march forth singing new songs of His goodness and mercy then defeat is turned to victory. There are times I can remember when I have walked along burdened by financial woes and, after a simple bursting forth of a new song, I have ended up my journey dancing and skipping along with great joy and release.

Poem

When the enemy comes in like a flood,
New songs shall gush forth from my lips,
And they will drown in the power of His blood,
And be lost like sinking ships.


Prayer

"Father, put a new song constantly on my lips, especially in the presence of my enemies. I will rise up to sing when the enemy rises up to attack. Amen!"

1 comment:

HM Baker said...

Dear Tim, Thank you for your moving reflection. I am working on a devotional piece about this great scene in 2 Chronicles and stumbled upon our blog while searching for famous renderings of Jehoshaphat with his army of musicians. May Christ bless you richly, as you move forward each day with His words on your lips!